Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In the life of Mrs. Sanchez

I would have been shocked if someone would have told me that I would meet, get engaged to, and marry my current husband all in the span of a year.  As miraculous a story it is of us meeting through my previous blog, it really did happen!  I married the man of my dreams two weeks ago and moved to Miami.

The first time I visited Miami, I was fascinated by the cultural melting pot there.  I met my Cuban in-laws, struggling through my broken Spanish and trying to grasp some kind of understanding despite the language barrier.  Although I studied Spanish in high school and college, it is a totally different thing when you actually have to engage in fast-paced conversations.

Aside from the language issue, Miami really does feel like an entirely different country to me.  It has a very tropical and romantic feel to it, and I'm still amazed by the amount of palm trees here.  Coming from one of the flattest states in the U.S. to one with a very diverse environment, I find it pretty exciting!  I was born and grew up in Kansas for my entire life, so moving to a huge city is going to be a pretty big adjustment.  I'm not only adjusting to a different city, but to a new culture.  I'm hoping to be fluent in Spanish after a year of living here.

As I type, I am sitting at the very spot Israel used to sit every night (which we like to call The Last Supper) when we talked on Skype.  This is at his grandma's house, and Israel's adorable great-grandma Ofelia keeps coming up to me, offering me different kinds of food and juice.  When I'm here, we usually don't exchange more than a few phrases and lots of smiles, gestures, and nervous laughs.  But today, I was on my computer and she asked to see a few wedding pictures.  She was most interested in seeing pictures of my family.  I really can't wait for her to meet my parents when they visit next week.  :)

I'm both excited and a little scared about living in a totally new environment, but I'm up to the challenges, and so grateful for my husband's support and encouragement.  I will be using this blog to write about my experiences with my new Cuban family, living in a new city, writing about different restaurants we will try, and life in general.

4 comments:

  1. You write beautifully mi amor. I'm so blessed to be sharing in this amazing journey called marriage with you. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, loving the new blog :) I met someone today who is now fluent in Spanish simply because she had a Spanish-speaking nanny early in life, then moved to Southern Florida later on and found that Spanish came to her easily. You will definitely learn there :)

    What strikes me most about this entry and this blog is what a brave girl you are, giving up the familiar world of Kansas, English speakers, TBC, singleness for a whole other world of marriage, Spanish-speaking, big city living, MARRIAGE! I know it was an easy choice because of how much you love Israel, but still, you are embarking on a great adventure, and so happily! I'm mighty excited to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you. :)

    And I hope you update often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have readers! And I love you all! Israel got me some Spanish DVD's at the library, so I'm excited to be taking "classes" again. And hopefully, my Spanish will improve simply by being around this very Hispanic culture.

    ReplyDelete