Saturday, October 23, 2010

Josh Ritter almost sang at our wedding

It's true... if he hadn't been in Madrid.

My husband, then fiancé in May, surprised me one morning with having me get on Skype, and check my email.  In my inbox was a forwarded email between him and Josh Ritter's manager, Doug.  Israel knew how much I loved Josh Ritter, and went through all the channels to try to get Josh to come sing at our wedding, as a surprise to our guests.

I was sworn to secrecy, in case Josh really could come and we'd have a lot more unexpected guests at our wedding.  Doug was really sweet and gracious, and told Israel to remind him once the wedding came closer.  Although he couldn't come, it was still really great that my wonderful husband went to great lengths to try and make this happen, and just how sweet they were.  Here are the emails between Doug and Israel:


On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Israel Sanchez wrote:


Hi Doug, I'm not sure if you're the right person to write to. If you're not, I hope you can point me in the right direction (or forward this email, ideally to Josh himself), even if you may find my request a little crazy.
I know this is a long shot, a prayer even, but I a man of faith, and well, nothing hurts by trying. I'm engaged to be married on September 9, 2010 in Topeka, Kansas. How I met my fiance is just a miracle in itself. The whole story is here: http://lovedoesntletgo.blogspot.com/2010/03/this-is-power-of-love.html
And no one says miracles don't come in twos. Hence, here's the reason for this email. I know Josh Ritter is a very busy guy, but I also know that he loves his fans. His music has been the soundtrack tothe amazing relationship between my fiance and I. Now, I know that Josh has a busy schedule and that he probably gets paid a lot for his shows, more than I can afford, but I'm writing to the man Josh Ritter, from Idaho.
If by any chance, by any miracle, Josh, do you think you can play just one song at the wedding? I don't have much money, but I can try my best to pay whatever I can. It will mean the world to my bride. It would mean the world to your fans.
I know, I know, this is crazy, but there's only one life and the least I could do was try.
Thank you and God bless!





--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Doug
Date: Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: To the Dogs or Whoever
To: Israel Sanchez


Hi Israel,

So sorry for just getting back to you now!

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the email and sharing your story with us!  That's amazing in itself.

And Josh is going
to be flattered with your request (he'll blush for days), which I'll pass along.  I will admit though that Josh gets requests like this often, and though if he had his way he'd do it every time it's going to be a tough one to fulfill. 

But thanks so much for sharing
the story of you and your fiance, and the great soundtrack behind it.  ;-)

Drop us another note when the big day nears, if anything to just check in....

Thanks Israel, and congratulations.

Doug

3 comments:

  1. He really almost did mi amor! :) It's funny how this blog came about from a conversation the other night.

    "Remember when Josh Ritter almost came to our wedding?"

    :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Israel, that email was so romantic! I just love it anytime a guy tries hard to surprise his woman with something he is sure will make her insanely happy :) I loved the line about us only living once, so may as well try!

    And true story. Right before checking this blog, I was singing Lantern, just to myself in front of the computer. He's so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, he definitely is married to Dawn. There's a video on youtube of them singing Southern Pacific in their kitchen :) They're cute.

    ReplyDelete