Monday, October 4, 2010

Lost in Translation

My husband moved here from Cuba when he was 11 years old.  And even though he has been in this country for 15 years and speaks English fluently, there are still a few things that seem to get lost in translation.

Usually, this is either something that when translated from Spanish to English doesn't quite make sense, or there is a particular American phrase Israel has never heard before (or always wondered about).

One of these first instances happened when I was visiting Miami before I moved here, and Israel and I were making a trip to the gas station.  He pulled up, turned off the engine, looks at me and asks, "Do you want to get down?"

I ask him to repeat what he just asked, so he asks again with even more emphasis if I'd "like to get down."  Confused and befuddled, all I can do is laugh.  Does Israel want me to start dancing?  Must I get down right here?  

Finally, I figure out that he's asking me if I'd like to get out of the car-- bajate, means to get out of the car in Spanish, although the translation isn't quite exact in English.  Bajate comes from bajar, which means to get down (usually meaning stepping down from something and getting "out").  Oh, how I love my adorable (yet manly) Cuban husband!

Stay tuned for more lost in translation's, which is the new thing I like to keep track of in my quote book.  ;)

1 comment: