Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My New Obsession with Cooking

I find it intriguing that a person's interests can change very quickly if placed in a different environment or situation.  Since moving to Miami, cooking has become a delight and not so much just a tedious task.  I think about new recipes all the time, and enjoy going through cookbooks trying to find new ideas for meals.

I'm becoming more confident with my cooking abilities, and feel more capable than I ever have.  I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me through this new hobby and interest.  Last week, I made my first ever pot roast in our new crock pot.  I have never bought pot roast meat before, so when we bought 2.5 pounds of it, I was a little intimidated as I tore the fat off and tried to master the beast.  I peeled and sliced a couple of onions (while shedding quite a few tears), cut up carrots and potatoes, mixed them all in, and waited for it to simmer for several hours.  It turned out really well, although next time I'll add more seasoning to the meat.

I have to be honest and admit that I most enjoy cooking desserts.  I blame my mother on my strong sweet tooth.  :)  I'm pretty sure I was indulging in all kinds of sweets even in the womb.  I was looking up recipes the other night on several different websites, including the Pioneer Woman blog.  I've heard of her blog before, but it never really interested me until now.  I was really looking for ideas for main dishes, but my mouth began to water as I came across her Angel Sugar Cookie recipe.  Suddenly, I just had to make them that night.

We had all the ingredients at home, except the cream of tartar which I ended up leaving out, and it didn't take long to make.  They do have a lot of butter, oil and sugar in them, but as Julia Child says, you can never have too much butter.  It's all about moderation anyway.  :)

The first batch I made last night came out way too flat, so I waited longer for the dough to refrigerate and made more this morning. The result was a flaky, soft, melt-in-your-mouth cookie.


Baking cookies in the convection oven is very tricky.  I have to be on constant watch, because they brown very quickly.
The second batch, placed on my favorite plate from IKEA :)

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'll be darned if I'm not commenting on the blog of a little Julie! It's true that with a little bit of practice in cooking (or anything, I suppose) comes confidence. So glad you're loving it! I've never known how anyone could not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My love! These cookies were amazing! My goodness!! You are really wonderful at cooking and at making desserts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, Tricia. :) I love cooking! Who would have thought?! I love looking up new recipes, and I want to try about a million things! If only money weren't a factor into buying all the ingredients I ever needed...

    And thank you, my love! I'm so glad you liked them! :)

    ReplyDelete