Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Initiation of the George Kaplan Film Society

Israel and I have started a “Finer Things Club,” mimicking the Office’s version.  So far, there are only two members—my husband and me.  But we hope to expand it once we find some other finer things kindred spirits here.

One of the umbrellas under this Finer Things is the George Kaplan Film Society.  Our purpose in this is to watch films made in the years 1920-1980-- 60 years of cinema with the old Hollywood actors.  The name comes from North by Northwest, starring the ever so classy Cary Grant who was mistaken for the double agent, George Kaplan.  I hadn’t seen this movie in years and Israel had never seen it, so he randomly picked it up at the library and we watched it last night.  The dialogue was smart and original, and Cary made us laugh the whole way through.


Oh, Cary Grant and your biting wit!

This reminded me of a summer spent with two old souls, Enumale and Tricia, watching old films like this one while expanding our culinary experiences.


Israel hasn’t seen a lot of older films like this one, so I’m excited to introduce him to Jimmy Stewart, Audrey Hepburn, of course followed up by Katherine Hepburn, Gregory Peck, and a whole list of others!  There are so many great old movies!  Any suggestions?

Next on the list is both a Christmas film and a Jimmy Stewart classic:  It's a Wonderful Life.

5 comments:

  1. Awww :) Good idea! Good film society name. I wonder how many of the best films are waiting for me to journey back in time and watch them. Rachel Martin was just talking to me about one she wants to see, Holiday, with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant... with those 2, how could it be bad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arsenic and Old Lace, Harvey, It Happened One Night, Meet Me In St. Louis, The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer, Run Don't Walk...oh there are so many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Bringing Up Baby, of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I approve of this message ;)

    The George Kaplan Film Society is awesome! And so are you! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!! Awesome! I'm going to add these to our "wish list."

    ReplyDelete