Sunday, November 21, 2010

One Big German Pancake

I made this yesterday morning for breakfast, along with toast and cafe con leche.  One word sums up this combination:  Divine.

Photo credit:  This Week for Dinner

I found this recipe on This Week for Dinner as I was scouring breakfast recipes to quench my breakfast obsession.  I read several of the comments on this entry, and a lot of readers recommended adding a dash of vanilla so I took their advice.  I forgot to take pictures of my creation, so I had to grab one from the site.

It really comes out of the oven like one big pancake, and has an overall eggy taste, but the vanilla softens it a little.  I added some apricot jelly on top and it was perfection.

Here's the recipe:


From Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book

- 2 T butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put butter in baking dish (just use an 8x8 square dish)…heat in oven 3-5 minutes, til butter is melted.

Beat eggs. Add milk, flour and salt. Beat til smooth. Pour immediately into baking dish. Bake 25 minutes, or until puffy edges and looks done in center. Serve with fruit, syrup, powdered sugar, whatever you like!

2 comments:

  1. If I would have told you 6 months ago that you'd have a food (ahemm, cooking) entry on your blog, you'd have scoffed! Just saying... It's a fantastic turn-around, my dear. It would be even better if you ended up making me some tasty treats when you visit :) Hehe. This would be a good starting point. Just kidding... kind of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to make you some tasty treats when I visit! I think a lot of baking will be going on at the Wenger house over Christmas, so you should come by. :) And goodness, I know... I never would have thought that I would LOVE cooking!

    ReplyDelete