Saturday, January 29, 2011

Arroz con Chicken

I used to watch "I Love Lucy" everyday after I got home from school when I was younger.  Our family would also watch it together in the evenings sometimes.  We would often quote her famous "Vitameatavegamin" commercial and I would laugh so hard at all the sorts of trouble she would get into.  Little did I know that this crazy redhead would somehow reflect my future life.

There was an "I Love Lucy" marathon on the Hallmark channel earlier today, and well, when you're sick there's not a whole lot you can do other than sleep or watch TV... so Israel and I watched several episodes and started seeing similarities between the show and us.

1.  Lucy was born in the U.S. and is from a "white European" background, married to Ricky, a Cuban born in Cuba and later moved to the U.S.
2.  They often joke about Ricky's control of the English language, words he has trouble pronouncing
3.  Ricky often translating for Lucy when relatives or friends who only speak Spanish come over

I love this dialogue between them when Lucy is once again teasing Ricky about his accent:

Lucy:  "I haven't told you this before, dear, but you speak with a slight accent."
Ricky:  "You can understand me, can't you?
Lucy:  "Well now yes, but I've learned to listen with an accent."

In the following clip, Lucy tries to explain to her mother-in-law what she's making for dinner.  I often feel like this, too....



For the record, I do know how to say chicken and rice in Spanish.  ;)

1 comment: