Thursday, January 20, 2011

Out of the Waiting Room

Sometimes I feel like the hugest whiney baby.

Just the other night, I was feeling down once again about not knowing enough Spanish, not having any friends, not having a job, and feeling so disconnected here.  This whole process is one of the most difficult times in my life.  My husband really is a patient man and puts up with the craziest stuff and emotions from me.  I'm very, very thankful for that.  What a blessing he is!

My husband and I have been wanting to get involved at the church we've been going to, and we tried going to this one small group but it just didn't seem to be working out, or that it just wasn't the right time.  Once we got back from Orlando, we were determined to try and find one and start attending so we could meet people.  We had seen on this list of small groups that there was one called "Young Couples."  The other couple-ish type one is called "Adult Married."  So because it did not specify that it was for married couples, we just thought it was a study for pre-engaged or engaged couples, which seemed a little strange.

But Israel decided to call about an hour before it started and find out what they really were all about.  We learned that it was in fact for young married couples, just like us!  We ate a hurried dinner and then drove over to the study.  We were the first couple there, and the leader explained that most of the people arrive on "Cuban time," which usually means a little later than what you time you tell people. But shortly after we arrived, another couple came in the door.  

Since we were the only ones there, we got to talking with this couple and learned that they were in a very similar situation.  They had just gotten married in August, and the girl had just moved here, too, and was going through all of the stuff I have been experiencing since moving here.  Soon the other couples started arriving we began a new series on Romans 8.  We all answered questions around the room at the end, and I was very surprised by how real everyone was with their own struggles and sins.  I don't think I've ever been involved in a Bible study where people were truly transparent about their weaknesses.  I shared my own, with my tendencies to throwing a lot of self-pity parties, whining and complaining about the hardship of moving here, and not trusting God enough, not being content enough.  The girl I had been talking to at the beginning spoke up after me, and said she was going through the exact same thing. It really was a humbling time.  

Both my husband and I were feeling so overwhelmed by the greatness of God when we left.  We couldn't stop talking about what had happened at Bible study.  It's amazing that when it seems like you're waiting and waiting for God to move, suddenly He does-- and it's completely perfect.  It's times like these when I truly learn how important it is to trust Him.  We could have gotten involved in another study, or missed last night, or whatever-- but it was all part of God's plan for us to wait until it was just the right time.  God is so cool!!  

4 comments:

  1. So happy for you, dear! I know He will teach you so much, and you and hubs will grow a LOT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so cool indeed honey! Now I feel like I'm part of a body, I feel connected. And I know you feel the same way! I love you mi amor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. :) I'm pretty excited about this group. I haven't been involved in a Bible study in a little while. I'm so excited to see what God has in store to teach us!

    And I love you too, honey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me so happy!!! Keep going and developing those relationships and soon, you'll feel at home in Miami :)

    ReplyDelete