Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cookies n' Cream Brownies

I have never put frosting on brownies before, but when I saw this recipe on HowSweetEats, I just had to try it!  It literally tasted just like cookies n' cream ice cream on top.  Mama like.

I couldn't help but think of the story my mom likes to tell about my older sister Renae when she was just a little girl.  They were in the middle of the grocery store, and Renae kept asking my mom to buy this ice cream, but my mom would not succomb to Renae's wishes.  As they were about to get to the checkout, Renae started screaming, "I WANT COOKIES N'CREAM!  I WANT COOKIES N' CREEEAAAM!"  She knew what she wanted.


Renae is on the right and I'm on the left in the onesie

Back to the brownies... 

They have crushed Oreos both in the brownie batter and in the frosting!  Not to mention that the frosting is pretty much just butter, powdered sugar, a touch of vanilla and lots of Oreos... you know it can't be too bad!

I spent so much time looking at HowSweetEats' recipes because all of them look soooo yummy!  I was looking for a good dessert to take to our new friends' house, Zach and Jenn, and came across this brownie recipe... and I just couldn't resist.


I had fun crumbling all the Oreos, first with my fingers and then crushing them with my favorite glass from IKEA.


Crush, crush, crush!


It did get a little messy, and I may or may not have licked my fingers clean...


This is not a paid advertisement for Kitchen-Aid!  (Although I do love them)


Finished product... the frosting literally tastes like the ice cream.  My sister would be drooling.  They turned out gooey, crunchy and super sweet-- just what I like in a brownie.

Cookies n' Cream Brownies:

2-3 semi-sweet baking chocolate squares
1/2 stick butter
2 c. sugar
5 eggs
1 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
8 oreos, crumbled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or 325, if using a convection oven like me).

Melt butter and baking squares in a microwave-safe bowl.  In the mixing bowl, cream melted butter and chocolate mixture.  Add in sugar and vanilla, beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.  Add in eggs, beating one at a time.  Add flour and stir just until combined.  Fold in cookie crumbles.

Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish (I used an 8x8 square cake pan).  Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until just barely done.  Cool before frosting.

Cookies n' Cream Frosting:

2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. milk
10 Oreos

Mix butter and powdered sugar together, adding sugar gradually to the mix.  Add vanilla.  Mix in milk, adding more if needed.  Continue to add milk and sugar until it reaches desired consistency.  Crush Oreos and fold them into the frosting.

For the record, don't eat too much of the raw batter... or you may have a terrible stomach ache.  Not that I know from experience or anything...

7 comments:

  1. YUM!!! You are so much a foodie now, Elena :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "mama like" hahahahaha

    Those really do look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, I know. I will literally spend hours scouring recipes to try!

    And thanks, you really should make them! Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Papa like too! :) They were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. heeeheeee!!!!! yeh!! :) oh my. Cookies n cream really is the best. thanks for sharing that story. lol. now, Im going to try this recipe out! That picture looked yummy yummy. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete