Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Onion Strings and Justin Bieber


Last night, I decided to make onion rings, or onion strings, in this case.  Onion strings complete with homemade burgers.  As I began chopping onions I remembered that Glee was on, so I tuned in and immediately caught Chord Everstreet's version of Justin Bieber's "Baby."


The Biebs is everywhere these days.



Now to the onion cutting.  I've never been very good at it!  So instead of thin perfectly-sliced rings, I came out with onion "things."  I dipped them in a flour mixture combined with cayenne pepper, dash of salt and pepper, and plunged them into a pot of 375 degree canola oil.  It was terrifying.  

They fried up pretty quickly after a couple of burnt fingers and almost setting off the smoke alarm.  Our tiny apartment was soon full of smokey air and the overwhelming smell of fried food.  The pot of oil looked a big black abyss so I decided to dump it outside.  And leave it there.  Forever!  


Until my kind husband took it out of the cold and gave it a thorough wash.


"Are we an item?  Girl quit playin', we're just friends, what are you sayin'?"


Must get Biber out of the head.  These are the finished onion strings.  They had a lot of flavor and tasted surprisingly good, but I am now vowing never to make them again.  It was a fun experiment, but they're far too messy to make in a tiny kitchen. 


I dream of abundant counter space...


I usually love hamburgers filled with all kinds of yummy things like Mayo, lettuce and tomato.  I went for plain this time, and these burgers were juicy and flavorful!  So good.  First time making hamburgers at home, too.  Next time I'll try them with Feta!  Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Bieber Fever! I swear, that boy needs to patent his hair. Do you think he has taken insurance on it? ;o)

    By the way, the onion rings/strings look fantastic! Very reminiscent of Bobo's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with all the cooking you do in that space! I sometimes don't cook just because I don't want to create all those dishes! Ha. So silly.
    Those do look yummy, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no doubt the Biebs has insurance on it. ;)

    Thanks, Rae Rae! It is quite challenging to cook here, and I usually line things up half on the counter/half on the sink... it's crazaaay. But yes, I know what you mean about all the dishes!! But then the glutton gets the better of me, and I decide it's worth it. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete