Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Superbowl Sunday

Israel and I are not avid sports fans.  We don't normally watch sports, but we both enjoy watching an occasional game live.  I like traditions, festivities and really any opportunity to celebrate, so when the Superbowl comes around I give football its annual chance to somehow charm me.  We didn't even know who was playing until the day of or the day before, but we decided to go for the Packers, because you have to go for the underdog.  Also, it turns out Jordy Nelson is a native Kansan!  That's reason enough for me to root for them.

We went over to my mother-in-law's house to watch the game with the rest of the Cubans.  A plate full of yellow rice and barbeque ribs later, I was surrounded by people shouting in Spanish while watching the game.  Btw, Cubans are very loud. :)  That was an interesting experience all by itself... watching the ultimate American football event with a bunch of people speaking Spanish, heh.  But then I got to witness a whole new side to my normally mild-mannered husband.  I had been warned before about how he really gets into the game, but didn't know he could get so excited (since we had never watched one together).... and then it happened....

It was like time stood still as the Packers scored their first touchdown and I turned to my husband to high-five him (we were the only ones rooting for them), and my husband jumped off the couch in a classic Tom Cruise manner and screamed the loudest I've ever heard before:

"Yeeeahhh!  That's what I'm talkin' about!  This is my house!!!"

I think he might have spun around, too.  I couldn't decide what I felt more in that moment-- shock or laughter.  I definitely laughed a lot about it later when I saw his brother make a whole facebook status about it.

I have seen a new side of football-watching Israel.  This is what happens when you're married to the Cuban.

On another note, today is the last day of popping antibiotics!!  Soon, I will be free of all my kidney infection restraints... though I might wait a few days still before I drink coffee or soda again.

6 comments:

  1. This is my house!!!! :)

    It was real fun honey. And I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, you do say it best, dear! I love you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. That's great.

    And I'm so glad you are getting all better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!! Yes, it's nice to be back to feeling like a normal human again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Thank you for a good laugh! I am so happy that you are enjoying Miami, married life, and getting well again!
    My husband tends to get that way when it comes to KU. Normally we are not sports watching people, but KU is a whole different ball game (for him-not me!)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing but sports on all the time in my house. Especially during basketball season. I don't really watch sports, but my husband does. I prefer to actually go to a game, except football becuase it is too cold!

    ReplyDelete