Thursday, March 24, 2011

Skillet Chicken Parmesan



About a month after we were married, I wanted to impress my husband by making an easy version of Chicken Parmesan that I had found in a cookbook.  I wasn't very experienced with making chicken dishes and hadn't learned yet that I actually don't like baked chicken all that much.  So I let it set in a baking dish with tomato sauce and cheese piled on high.  I took it out an hour later, and it was soupy, way too cheesy, and didn't have nearly enough flavor as I had expected.

I decided to attempt this dish again last night, trying a few new things that I've learned.  I combined frying with baking, so it didn't have that flat texture that often accompanies baking.  I made it completely different than last time, and it seriously was one of the best things I've made!  It was flavorful, sweet, and crispy.  I didn't really measure anything as I was adding it, but these are the measurements to the best of my memory:

Chicken Parmesan:

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. basil
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
3 T. Olive Oil

Sauce:

1 10-ounce can of tomato sauce
2 T. Olive Oil
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 c. onions
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. parsley
1 T. brown sugar
dash of salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Place the chicken breasts side by side on a cutting board and lay a piece of plastic wrap over them.  Pound the chicken breasts with the flat side of a meat hammer (or a can... I used a can of black beans to flatten these things and it did the trick) until they are about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.  Put the flour into a bowl and the eggs in another one.  In a third bowl, combine Panko, garlic salt, parsley, salt and pepper, and basil.  Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.

Coat both sides of each cutlet with flour, dip in the egg wash, and then dredge in the Panko mix.  Add the cutlets to the skillet and fry for about 4 minutes on each side until golden and crusty.  Place in baking dish and set aside.

Add additional olive oil to a saute pan, and when the oil is hot enough, add onions and garlic cloves.  Cook and stir for about 5 minutes until onions are translucent and fragrant.  Add tomato sauce gradually, cook and stir until the liquid is cooked down and and the sauce is thick.  Stir in garlic salt, brown sugar, parsley, basil, salt and pepper.

Pour sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with cheeses and additional dash of basil.  Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the chicken is cooked through.  Serve hot with pasta.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment