Thursday, March 31, 2011

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Peanut Butter and Apricot Jam Muffins


Well that was a long name!

Cooking in this studio-sized apartment does have its challenges when there's no oven or stove (we use a camp-type gas stove and convection oven for baking).  It also forces you to be creative, and I'm sure that when we do move into a bigger apartment I will never take space or kitchen appliances for granted.  Amen.

I was so excited when the hubby and I were grocery shopping last night at Publix and I found a 6-cup muffin tin for only $4.99!  It fits perfectly into our little oven, like it was meant to be.  My dear sister had gotten me one for Christmas but its rounded edges stuck out, and the only way it would fit was if it was placed diagonally... leading to uneven cooking or only baking two at a time.

I adore cupcakes and muffins.  But since I moved here, when looking at recipes I automatically skipped over all the fun cupcake and muffins recipes, knowing I wouldn't be able to make them.  But now all those previously impossible recipes are now possible!  I feel like a whole new world has opened up.  I immediately started thinking of all my favorite muffin combinations... peanut butter and banana, chocolate and peanut butter, blueberry and cream cheese, oatmeal and peanut butter, oatmeal and chocolate chip... you get the idea.

Israel doesn't really like peanut butter, so I don't normally bake anything with it in, even though I could (and probably do) eat it every single day.  It's always a good idea if the other person you're baking for likes the same thing you do... or you'll end up eating it all by yourself.  Which is not good.  But I could not resist my peanut butter obsession any longer, and I tried to make some muffins as healthy as possible... and so Whole Wheat Oatmeal Peanut Butter and Apricot Muffins were born.


The apricot is just barely peeking out...


Sweet explosion in my mouth.


Makes 12 muffins
Adapted from HowSweetEats

Ingredients:

1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. fat-free milk
1/2 c. peanut butter (heaping)
1/4 c. egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. apricot jam (or any other flavor you prefer!)
1/4 c. oats
2 T. butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugars in a large bowl.  Stir with a whisk until well-combined.  Make a well in center of mixture.  Combine milk, peanut butter, egg whites, oats, butter, and vanilla and add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.  

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray or butter.  Fill each cup half full with batter. Spoon 1 teaspoon jam into each cup, then spoon remaining batter on top to cover jam.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.  Let cool in pan for at least 5 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.  

These make for a delicious and healthy morning snack at only about 200 calories per muffin!

4 comments:

  1. These muffins look great honey! Very nice pictures! :) They might just make me a believer in PB! We'll see, we'll see.

    I will certainly try a WWOPBAJM later today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you honey! PB will get you on its side one day, I promise. ;) And niiice abbreviation! haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth has been watering ever since I read this post. Elvis would have loved these muffins. Of course he also liked peanut butter with bananas. I made Oatmeal Muffins every Sunday when I was a new bride. They're on Page 48 of the "Betty Crocker Cookbook" that was published in 1974.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I'm sure he would have loved them, too. He knew what was good. ;)

    ReplyDelete