Thursday, April 14, 2011

Beating the Heat

Good morning!  Or afternoon, almost.

I was so sleepy when I woke up this morning with Israel around 7:45... this is what happens when you go to bed at 1.  We're working on getting to bed earlier.  This week every time we turn out the light and I try to sleep, I end up laying awake for an hour or two just letting my mind run.  I'm so jealous of my husband who can just shut off his brain and be asleep in ten minutes or less.  Last night I tried to turn off all the thoughts in my head and just focus on sleep, and it definitely worked.

After Israel left for work, I debated with myself whether or not to get out of bed and go running or have a lazy morning and read/eat breakfast, etc. until it was too hot to go running.  I made up my mind to get out and run because I didn't want to brave the 86 degrees + crazy humidity later.  I'm so glad I went.

I'm on Week 8 of Podrunner now, just two more weeks to go and then I'll have completed the whole thing.  This week I'll be running 3 miles every day (or at least three days on this program this week).  Since I went early enough and beat the heat, I felt more energized and like I could go even further than I did.  I haven't run this much in my life and I am loving it.

When I got home from my run, I was dripping with sweat and just stood in front of the A/C for a couple minutes.  Sweating never felt so good.  I had a nice breakfast of Greek yogurt with peanut butter and bran flakes and a piece of toast with mashed banana on top.

Since I'm nearing the end of my first Podrunner program, I've been thinking about running in a 5K.  I probably should have looked up races before this, but I don't know if there's anything coming up in the Miami area.  I just learned that Podrunner has another training interval program, this time leading up to a 10K.  I definitely want to train for that once I have finished this one!

On another note, my parents are coming for a visit soon and bringing me my sister's old car!  First of all, I'm really excited to see them both!  I haven't seen my parents since Christmas, and that is much too long.    It will be really nice to spend a few days with them and just catch up on life.  That car is seriously such a blessing from God.  I'm so, so thankful for it.  And it seems weird to say this, but having a car again really will change my life.  Getting a job will be a lot easier, so I'm stepping up the job search once the car arrives.  Also, just doing simple things like going to the store when I need something is now possible... I can cure my cabin fever and just get out of the house.  I'm so looking forward to this!  I'll never take a car for granted again.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Elena! :) Awesome blog you have here. :) I used to (& sometimes still do) have the same problem with having a hard time falling asleep. A friend of mine shared this verse with me: "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety." - Psalm 4:8. I really liked the "sleep in peace" part of the verse. So comforting. :) I started praying that before I went to sleep :). I also Googled "How to fall asleep" hahah, and one thing I read that I tried was to sleep on your back and slowly flex your feet towards you and away from you. I don't know if it really worked, but I think psychologically it did lol. But now I usually don't have trouble sleeping thanks to teaching hahahah. I'm so glad you get to see your parents & will have a car soon! I'll be praying for you as you job search :). Greetings from Kansas! :) -- Celester

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste!! Thanks so much for commenting and for your sweet and encouraging words. I really love that verse. And you know, I think I have read somewhere about the flexing your feet thing. Crazy! Thanks for the prayers. I miss you, girl.

    ReplyDelete