Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Best Burger in Miami

There's an episode of How I Met Your Mother called "The Best Burger in New York."  In this episode, Marshall claims that he had the best hamburger in the world his first week in New York, but he forgot where the burger joint is located.  The rest of the episode is about the whole group looking for this magical place.  He describes his perfect burger:

"Just a burger?  Just a burger?  Robin, it's so much more than 'just a burger...' It's a patty of ground beef so exquisite, swirling in your mouth, breaking apart, and combining again in a fugue of sweets and savor so delightful..."


I can relate to Marshall's passion for such a burger.  I don't know about you, but just salt-and-pepper seasoning doesn't do it for me.  I love intense, bold flavors and a juicy burger you can sink your teeth into and remember its strong taste hours later just by thinking about it.  I once had the most amazing, flavorful burger of my life in Portland, Maine with my travel companion Tricia at a pub called Gritty's.  It was the summer of 2008, and we had just taken our momentous roadtrip across the country from Kansas to Maine.


We were walking down the streets of Portland, hungry but with no real agenda in mind for any specific place.  We stumbled upon this place and both ordered the lamb burger with feta and fresh mint.


My tastebuds were thanking me the rest of the day... and the rest of the year.

Tricia and I came back the next year to the same place and ordered the same burger, but it didn't taste the same and we couldn't ever figure out what it was.  Sometimes you only get those once-in-a-lifetime moments, and that's okay with me.


It's the company and good conversations that make the experience enjoyable!

I decided to try and re-create this wonderful burger at home.  Israel and I went to Publix, and I was pumped to make my first ever lamb burger, although pretty sure I had never seen ground lamb before, nor ever looked for it.  I scanned the lamb meat section, finding nothing resembling the ground texture, and even asked the butcher if they had any.  But unfortunately, Publix isn't cool enough yet to carry ground lamb.  :(

So I opted for lean ground beef instead.  But next time, I will not stop until I find lamb!  Here is my spin of the best burger in Maine:


The Best Burger in Miami:
Makes 4 patties

1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
1 Whole Egg, lightly beaten
1 T. Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
2 tsp. Garlic Salt
2 T. Olive Oil (for frying)
1/2 c. large onion
4 Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
2 T. Feta Cheese
Optional Garnishes:  Lettuce, Tomato Slices, Extra Feta, Mayo


Mix ground beef, egg, Worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic salt; mix with your hands and form into 4 medium-sized patties.

Heat olive oil on a large skillet over medium-heat and cook patties for about 5-7 minutes per side, or until meat is cooked through.  Add onions to skillet and cook them with patties until translucent.

Serve on toasted buns with Feta and extra garnishes.


3 comments:

  1. Ooh! I've never heard of that place! It looks good! Can I steal a fry? =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodnesss!!!! That burger was amazing! Props on recreating it, girl :) Gosh, good times in 2008 and 2009 (and '10... we really are travel companions)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure, girl! This will be the first year in the past few years that we won't be traveling together.

    ReplyDelete