Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Day of Good Eats

I think it's official-- I'm a foodie.  While I definitely appreciated food before, my taste buds have become insatiable and more "refined," if you will, since I got married and became the chef of the household.  This morning I ran with Podrunner for about 3 miles, and then did a little more running on my own.  My knee was killing me the other day, so I rested a couple of days and started stretching and doing more leg exercises.  It felt so effortless on my run this morning-- my legs weren't hurting at all and I felt like I could run another mile or two if it weren't for the intense heat.

I worked up a good appetite so I went home and made myself a nice breakfast:  Greek yogurt with a dallop of white chocolate peanut butter, bran flakes and frozen blueberries.  I love a variety of textures in my food.  And I don't think I can go a day without peanut butter.  I adore the stuff!

For lunch I made myself a spinach salad with tomato, cucumber, gorgonzola and lemon juice.  I also had a little bit of Garlic Lovers hummus with Parmesan Garlic and Herb pita chips.  Oh, and the rest of my panini sandwich from last night.  Oh my.  It was quite a spread.



Can we just have a pause for reflection on the gorgonzola?  I don't think I've had it before, but we stocked up on a bunch of cheeses at the grocery store and this was one I've been wanting to try.  It's my new favorite.

Since it's our 7 month anniversary today, Israel told me he was going to take me to dinner somewhere but would not give me the location.  He likes to play this game, and I can usually get a tiny clue out of him but not this time.  Instead I was completely surprised and he took me to Caffe Italia, a cute Italian place on Calle Ocho.  We both ordered a glass of wine, garlic rolls, the classic Spaghetti and Meatballs for him, and Chicken Piccata for me.






And of course, we split the Tiramisu for dessert.  It was a wonderful ending to a delicious day.

5 comments:

  1. Your Spinach Salad has a "smorgasbord of colors, textures and tastes. You should consider a career in food photography!! Is Calle Ocho- 8th St? Are you getting a tan? You and Israel look so happy together- such a striking couple! The Tiramisu looks divine!! Thanks for posting. Looks like you had a fabulous evening to celebrate Month # 7 together as Mr. and Mrs. Sanchez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoohoooo month #7!!! My hubs and I are newlyweds too and we haven't ever celebrated an anniversary while datin (b/c hes mister forgetful!) so i'm anxiously awaiting our 1 year this summer! ahh!

    Your food sounds and looks delish! hooray for being a newfound foodie! <3 it!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mom! I've definitely taken more pictures of food lately than I ever have! Yes, that's 8th street. :) And I have been getting a tan just by running nearly every morning.

    Jennifer, congrats on your upcoming 1 year anniversary! My hubby and I didn't get to celebrate our monthly anniversaries as were dating because we were long distance the whole time, so this has been fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking food, I'm getting hungry! That chicken piccata looks especially tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum!! Looks wonderful! Love the pictures... praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete