Friday, April 15, 2011

Easy Homemade Naan Bread


I have avoided making any non-quick breads that would require me to knead and roll out bread dough due to lack of a countertop to do so.  But after reading about this bread on Mommy Cooks and seeing how easy it looked, I had to try it.  I even created my own countertop using a cutting board on top of half of the dish rack.  

I have to be honest and confess that I tried to alter the recipe and use both regular flour and whole wheat flour, but it ended up being a sticky mess that I had to throw away and start over.  So take my word, and just go by the recipe.  ;)  This bread really does come together pretty quickly and doesn't require any special equipment or rising time.

Easy Homemade Naan Bread:
4 to 6 Servings

1 c. Flour, heaping
2 tsp. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 c. Milk
2 T. Olive Oil

Sift the dry ingredients first-- the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix together the oil and milk.  

Make a well in the middle of the flour bowl, and pour in the milk mixture.  Slowly incorporate the flour into the oil until a dough bowl forms.  Knead the dough for about 6 to 8 minutes until dough is soft and smooth.  Add more flour is the dough is sticky (I ended up adding at least 1/4 c. more) until you have the right consistency.

Grab a chunk of dough off the ball, throw some flour on your counter and roll it out nice and thin.  Fun fact:  I got a rolling pin for our wedding, but didn't take it back with me because I didn't think I would be making pies or bread here... little did I know.  I used a bottle of vinegar instead, which didn't allow me to roll the dough really thin, but I like it a little chunkier anyways. :)


Heat a large saute pan on high heat and once the pan is very hot, throw your rolled out dough into the pan.  Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.  Repeat with the rest of your dough.



This was the first one I made and I nibbled on it as I was making the rest of the batch.  Then I served it up with a small salad with hummus.  These were plain, but you could easily spice it up with a little garlic or hummus (which tasted amazing!).  

3 comments:

  1. BOOKMARKED!!!! Looks and sounds delish! Thanks Elena <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenn! This is definitely a must try, it's too easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend is Sri Lankan, so I can't wait to surprise him with this. I love when I can learn easy recipes from his culture.

    ReplyDelete