Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Non-sponsored Plug for Podrunner

I've never been much of a runner.  In fact, I'm one of those people who grumble, complain and sigh through their whole run.  I've never understood those people who, after being dormant for a while, can run five miles at a time like it was no effort at all.  I blame it on my short legs.

I used to feel quite accomplished if I could just run for ten minutes without stopping.  I could easily bike for hour or two, but it's a completely different story when it comes to running.  However, wanting to work on my endurance and lose my post-wedding weight, I started running with this program called Podrunner: From Couch to 5K.  It's a podcast you can listen to while you're running, and it leads you through different running intervals.  It treats you like a beginner, so you start out with two minutes of walking and only one minute of running and then it will alternate for about 30 minutes.  The running interval gradually increases over a period of 10 weeks, so it definitely builds up your endurance.

I'm just about to finish Week 6, and the runs have definitely become more challenging.  Now it's mostly running with almost no walking.  Even though half the time I battle with myself to finish the run, I have never quit.  I started out despising running, and now I'm growing to appreciate it.  I even miss it on my days off!

Anyways, just wanted to tell all you fellow running haters about a fun program that may change your stance.  :) You can download the podcasts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment