Sunday, April 24, 2011

Thoughts on Easter

For as long as I can remember, my parents, sisters, my grandparents on my mom's side and Aunt Lavina and Uncle John got together every Easter.  Of course when we were younger, my sisters (and Uncle John) hunted for eggs the others had planted in our back yard.  Sometimes, we never even found a few eggs until several years later.

Homemade sandwiches, creamy strawberry marshmallow jello, bread and butter pickles, and carrots usually filled our table each year.  Lunch was usually followed by a foot race-- always Renae, Bekah and me racing against Uncle John down the block until our short legs gave out.  I have such fond memories of this day.  :)


This was taken one Easter (I think I was 6 or 7) with Lavina, Renae and our baby bunnies.  I'm the one in the obnoxious hot pink leotard (?) and pink jellies.  Oh, how I loved those jellies.  I think my impeccable fashion sense is obvious here.  ;)

The other day I was feeling a little bummed, because this will be the first Easter I'll be away from my family in Kansas (and Indiana).  I was talking to my husband about this when he lovingly reminded me that the most important thing about Easter is recognizing Christ's sacrifice.  And he's completely right.  It's easy to get down when I'm missing my family a lot, but it's important to remember today is the day we celebrate Christ's resurrection.

This really was a miracle and one that was witnessed by many.  I can't imagine how surprised Mary Magdalene must have been to see her crucified Savior alive again and talking to her.  Or the disciples who touched the scars on Jesus' hands and feet.  How surreal that must have been.  I'm thankful for the most caring and loving Father who sacrificed his own Son that we would have life again, to those who accept Him and believe in Him, that His creation could be united with Him forever.

"But He was wounded for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with His stripes we are healed."  -Isaiah 53:5


I hope you spend today with your loved ones carrying on old traditions or creating new ones, remembering and recognizing the most important man in the history of the world and the sacrifice He made.

Happy Easter!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Elena! Since not having my computer, I've not been reading your bloggy blog. Well, I just caught up on several posts. It's really great. We just have to have a phone date this week, okay? I love you.

    ReplyDelete