Monday, May 16, 2011

Anniversary Spaghetti and Meatballs


I hope you all don't get tired of my announcing how many months Israel and I have now been married.  We like to celebrate each month that our anniversary falls on at least for this first year, and for our eighth month we celebrated at home with a classic Italian meal-- old fashioned spaghetti and meatballs, with a homemade sauce and everything. Our French Bourdeoux wine also made an appearance and was just as good as it was at the wine tasting.

This is an easy recipe for meatballs that allows you to just mix everything up and set it in the slow cooker for a couple of hours.  It's delicious and so simple!

Anniversary Spaghetti and Meatballs:
Makes about 18 balls

Meatballs:
1 lb. Hamburger
1 C. Oatmeal
1 Egg
1/4 C. Onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Oregano
1/4 tsp. Parsley
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
dab of ketchup
2 T. Brown Sugar
1 T. Sugar

Sauce:
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. Pizza Seasonings
1/4 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
1/2 T. Parsley
1/4 C. Onion, diced
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T. Brown Sugar

Once meat mixture is mixed well, take a clump and form into 1 1/2 inch balls.  Place in slow cooker.  Mix ingredients for the sauce together and pour over meatballs; cover completely.  Put on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2 hours.  It might take shorter or longer depending on crock pot.  

Serve with cooked spaghetti and re-enact the classic scene from Lady and the Tramp... unless you make this for a group of people-- that might be embarrassing.  ;)  Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. I think it's sweet that you guys are celebrating each month. And that spaghetti looks great...much better than the enchiladas I made for dinner (the sauce got a little burned, but of course I didn't realize that until I'd covered the enchiladas with it and served myself a big plateful. :-P). Happy 8-month anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emily. :) My husband just told me he wouldn't mind doing a little something special every month that we're married... I'll be sure to hold him to his word 20 years from now. ;) Enchiladas sound delicious! What kind of sauce did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww too cute that you celebrate every month! P and I never celebrated any anniversaries just b/c he could barely handle bdays and xmas but in july for our 1 year wedding anniversary -- he's got a looooot of making up to do! <3 hehe enjoy your sweetie! mwah!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you honey! You can hold me to my word 50 years from now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never get tired of an excuse for you to blog. I stalk you all the time. :)
    And I just made it so you can stalk me back... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer- yeah he has a ton of making up to do! ;) Congrats on your upcoming 1 year, that's awesome!!

    Honey-- You are the best, and I love You!

    Rachel-- It's nice to know I'm still being stalked by you. ;)

    ReplyDelete