Saturday, May 28, 2011

Chocolate Elvis Smoothie

The A/C in our apartment has been broken for over a week.  I don't think I need to describe how hot it is in here, given that it's Miami at the beginning of the summer (let's just say it feels like a constant sauna).  And I've been making a lot of smoothies lately to stay cool.

A friend mailed us a Bed Bath and Beyond gift card recently, and I was so excited because I've been really wanting a blender to make such things as smoothies!  I've been experimenting with lots of different combinations and made this one recently that changed my life.  Dramatic?  Maybe, but it really will change your life!


Let's be real here-- Elvis knew a good thing when he became famous not just for being the King of rock-and-roll, but also for his love of combining peanut butter and banana.  Brilliant.  This is the perfect marriage of flavors and fruit.  Add in a little chocolate and you've got the best thing since sliced bread.

Chocolate Elvis Smoothie:
Serves 1

-2 Ice Cubes
-1/2 Frozen Banana
1/2 C. Milk (I used Almond but you could also use Skim for a low-fat option)
2 T. Peanut Butter
2 T. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1.5 T. Sweetener (Honey, Agave, Sugar)

Place Ice Cubes and 1/2 Frozen Banana in a blender.  Add in Milk, Peanut Butter, Cocoa, and Sweetener of your choice (I usually use Honey and it's sweet enough, but if you want it a bit more sweet you could always add more).  Blend until smooth.  


With the honey addition, this combo is about 250 calories, which is pretty low compared to the ridiculously high-sugar, high-cal smoothies out there.  Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. It's probably not as hot here as it is in Miami, but I'm going to try one of those very soon!

    Speaking of chocolate and peanut butter, have you ever tried these cookies? I just finished a book where the heroine makes them for her boyfriend, and had to hunt down the recipe on the author's blog so I can make some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I used to make those cookies all the time! My recipe calls them "Magic Peanut Butter Middles," which they are quite magical. Which book that you read mentioned them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck. The boyfriend is an Indian prince from the 1600s who's been cursed to live as a tiger until he meets the heroine, Kelsey, and his favorite modern food is peanut butter, so she makes him "her mom's famous double-chocolate peanut butter cookies". They talked about them so much I thought I was going to go crazy, and I don't even like peanut butter that much!

    ReplyDelete