Monday, May 9, 2011

Féliz Día de las Madres!

When I heard that there was going to be a barbeque next door on Mother's Day, I had pictured chicken, hamburgers and hot dogs on a hot grill outside and later slathered with barbeque sauce.  Oh, American Elenita.  When you will you ever learn that it's never what you expect?

Instead, a few guys sat outside in the 90+ degrees for several hours mixing up a huge pot of Paella.  I tried to get a photo of this, but they kept the lid closed most of the time to ward away the flies.  Paella is a Spanish dish and there are a few different ways to prepare it, but this one was mixed-- meaning there was seafood combined with chicken and chorizo.  This was served over moist yellow rice with shrimp, lobster, chicken and sausage, and it's kind of a big deal just because of how long it takes to make.  I was given a rather large serving but I could only finish about half because it was so rich.

There was of course, like any Cuban party, loud conversations, dancing and music.  They also served homemade sangria (which was amazing!) and a rum cake for dessert they had picked up at a local bakery.


Sangria!


Ofelia and Israel.  They were actually both feeling quite sick yesterday :(


Deimy with her dad Ley


Deimy and María


We formed a congo line dancing and little Christopher jumped in back of me, pushing me along :)


Singing with Celine Dion


So precious!


These sunflowers were given to Danay, but they made me think of my mom back in Kansas :)  I wish I could have been there to celebrate with her.


I'm so thankful for my mom and the woman she is.  She inspires me to be the most compassionate and loving mom to my own kids one day.  Love you, Mom!  

Happy Mother's Day!


Sweet Shot Day
ShutterLoveTuesdays

7 comments:

  1. Loved this post!! The commentary and the photos were great. But your last comment brought tears to my eyes. You are compassionate and loving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun celebration :D You got some great shots. I love that last one of you and your mom... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun party!! we had our american style bar-b-que right next to a cuban style at a state park last year for memorial day - we ended up merging our parties and having a blast - we ate all their food and they ate all ours :) we even got to take home the jug of their bar-b-que seasoning mix :)
    love the picture of you and your mom - beautiful processing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that's sweet, Mom. :) I meant what I said! You're the best.

    Brooke, thanks! That picture of my mom and I was actually taken last summer, shortly before I got married.

    Allison, thanks for the comment! How fun! Cubans really know how to party. ;) That's awesome you got to exchange food with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots. Your children are just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhh how fun! =) GORGEOUS photos and now i'm totally aching for some sangria <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thanks Susan- but they're actually my nieces and nephews! ;)

    ReplyDelete