Saturday, May 7, 2011

Job Possibilities and Desserts

Good morning!

Sorry I haven't blogged much this week.  As for an update on the ducklings, the mama duck has come back to her nest, and I haven't seen her leave it in 3 days.  I'm glad to know that I didn't disturb anything!  Does anyone know how long it takes for little ducklings to hatch?

I've been at the job search a lot this week, and until yesterday there just hadn't been any real leads.  Something came up yesterday that I know only God could have done, so we'll see what happens there.  I'll explain more once I know a bit more or hopefully get hired!

This week Israel and I got my car insured, got the title registered and bought a new license plate.  Soooooo expensive... needless to say, with us buying tickets for Kansas soon too, we will not be eating out for quite some time.  Time to get creative in the kitchen on a low budget!  For tonight, I'm planning on making a soup with all of our remaining vegetables and any canned veggies that have been setting in the cupboard for a while.  Any other low budget ideas?  I'm already scouring the coupons and am thinking those Extreme Couponing ladies on TLC definitely have it together.

I finished my first Podrunner program two days ago and have been running almost every day this week!  I can now run 4 miles comfortably without thinking I'm going to die or wanting to stop every minute.  Although I don't think I'll be able to run in any upcoming races this month or the next, I'm hoping to train for maybe a 10K in the Fall, and it's now my goal to be able to run a half marathon sometime in the future!

I made two desserts this week-- a Blueberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake and a Mocha Pudding Cake.  I've been teasing you with all of these recipes I keep mentioning, but I really do plan on sharing them with you soon!  The pound cake turned out very well (my first time making one), and since I had a lot of blueberries on hand, I decided to throw those in there.  We had intended to take it over to share with everyone next door, but we just kept eating it and realized that there just wouldn't be enough for everyone so we might as well finish it.  ;)  Makes total sense, right?  So I made a Mocha Pudding Cake instead for them, from David Lebowitz's The Great Book of Chocolate.  I didn't even take a picture of this!  This was a pretty intense cake.  You first mix all of the basic ingredients together-- eggs, flour, sugar, cocoa, etc.  And it's pretty liquidy, so you just pour that right into the pan.  Then you mix together the remaining cocoa and sugar, sprinkle that all over to make a new layer, and then here's the best part-- pour a cup of hot, strong brewed coffee over everything and put into the oven.  I'm telling you, this stuff was rich!

Well, I'm off to the bank and running a couple more errands today.  Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. About the ducklings...we hatched them in an incubator last spring and they took around 28 days. If you want to see a video of them hatching...stop by :)

    http://thechuppies.blogspot.com/2010/05/baby-duckling-update.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for posting that link! Those little ducklings are so adorable, and what a great video you posted of them hatching! I'm not sure how long those eggs have been out there, but they'll probably be hatching in a couple weeks or less!

    ReplyDelete