Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Nutella Coconut Macaroons


For Mother's Day I made these very easy macaroons and gave some to each mother at the party-- Ofelia, María, Bertha, Marili, Danay and Yinet.  I have never made these or anything with coconut in it for that matter, but couldn't believe how easy these were!  I've recently started loving coconut a lot which is so strange, because I hated the stuff when I was a kid.  But now, I can't get enough of it.

There's a very similar kind of Cuban candy you can even find at Walgreens that have several variations of a coconut ball-- some with almonds, plain or with sweetened condensed milk.  Here is my own version I created:



Nutella Coconut Macaroons:
Makes about 12 balls

2 C. Shredded Coconut, Sweetened
1/3 C. Nutella
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Salt
1/3 C. Almond Milk (or other kind of milk)
1/2 C. Sugar
3 Egg Whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  

Combine Shredded Coconut with Nutella in a medium-sized bowl with a wooden spoon or spatula.  Add in Vanilla, Salt, Almond Milk and Sugar until combined.  Fold in Egg Whites with a fork and mix gently.

Place balls on a cookie sheet with parchment paper or greased muffin tin and bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly toasted.  Allow to cool for ten minutes and sprinkle tops with extra Nutella.  Store in the fridge between sheets of parchment paper.  

No comments:

Post a Comment