Tuesday, May 3, 2011

We're going to have ducklings!

No, not Israel and me.  ;)

When I got home yesterday, I was walking up the driveway and right before I passed in front of a section of our front window that has a lot of plants around it, a duck jumped down right in front of me and flew away.  It startled me so much I actually jumped back a little!  Quite a few ducks populate our neighborhood so they aren't necessarily a rare thing to see around here.

But when I walked by the same area outside our apartment today, the same duck flew out again, inches from my face.  This was too strange to happen two days in a row, so I inspected the area and saw this:



Duck eggs!

I was so delighted when I saw what this feisty duck had been hiding and nesting on.  I've never even seen duck eggs before, so I can't wait to see them after they have hatched!

5 comments:

  1. Sooooo cute! Jono and I were looking at little ducklings last weekend, and had to talk ourselves out of taking some home with us! That is so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they the cutest little things? I saw a little older duckling crossing the street today. :) If decide for sure, for sure that you don't want kids, at least you know ducklings are always an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I counted about 12 or 13 eggs in the nest. That will be fun to follow a ducklings' diary on this blog. A "ducklings' crossing may need to be added to your street!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right! I counted 13, although one could be hiding by the leaves. I just hope I didn't disturb anything by taking a few pictures. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww! So exciting! I want to raise them as pets, but my fiance says no.
    Boring.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete