Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Day

Yesterday was truly just... a day.  It was worse than my birthday.  A terrible, hot, frustrating and waiting day.  After some confusion with the power company, our power was shut off on Saturday.  We called them that night and worked it out and they said they might be able to send someone over the next morning.  We threw some ice in the freezer and got out of there (I don't think I need to mention how hot Miami is in August).  We spent the night at my mother-in-law's house and headed back the next day to brave the heat for one more day (or so we thought). 

We were expecting the power guys to come in the morning yesterday, so I left the house and spent a couple hours at the library.  I came home, expecting there to once again be A/C and hoping to salvage most of the food rotting in our fridge.  No power still.  So I called and apparently someone had come by but cancelled the order (without letting us know) when he couldn't get past the security door.  We had figured that if they had successfully turned it off without us letting them in, there wouldn't be any problems for turning it back on.  But apparently, the person who resets the system has different "powers." 

They resubmitted our request, apologized for the inconvenience and told us someone would be by between noon and midnight-- quite a large window.... and I had to stay inside our hot apartment all day to make sure they could be let in.  I spent the whole entire afternoon until Israel came home close to 7 reading My Sister's Keeper, which is an excellent book.  We called again and then again once more three hours later.  By this time it was about 10:30 and no one had come yet.  Israel and I couldn't bear the heat inside, so we ate McDonald's and played the Alphabet Game outside our apartment.  When we called the last time, we had been informed that our appointment had been rescheduled for the following day (again without notifying us).

This is the moment when you have to speak to someone in charge to get things done.  Israel asked to speak to a supervisor, and apparently that department is already closed at midnight.  But he told us he would try to send someone over.  And finally, when we were delirious with heat, our power guy finally showed up at 11:30 and our power was restored. 

Today, I'm dealing with the aftermath of our fridge, which is basically throwing everything away that went bad this weekend (which is pretty much the entire contents of our fridge).  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment