Thursday, October 6, 2011

I have some news...

You may have noticed I haven’t posted a recipe in a while.  The truth is, I haven’t been looking at food blogs hardly at all, because for the last month and a half just seeing pictures of food or thinking about it makes my stomach churn.  This is also called... morning sickness.  That’s right, folks, I’M PREGNANT!!!


 Oh my, this has been sooooo hard to keep a secret!!  I’m now 11 weeks along and almost into my second trimester, even though we found out when I was exactly 7 weeks (the day before our anniversary!).  Israel and I had just gotten home from Topeka, and thought taking a pregnancy test might be a good idea.  Some of the normal pregnancy symptoms had actually started to show up while we were visiting, the most apparent one being nausea (without vomiting). 

At first I had just thought it was all the rich foods we had been eating at my parents’ house (with a different dessert every night), but apparently that wasn’t the case.  I had expressed my concerns to Israel, and we bought a test at Wal-Mart while grocery shopping the night after we got back to Miami.  When we got home, Israel started watching “Indiana Jones” in the living room and I went in the bathroom to take the test.  The first line appeared and then almost immediately, the second one started to show up.  My mouth actually dropped.  We had joked in the past so much about “Oh, you’re probably pregnant,” that it was finally real and I was shocked. 

I came out of the bathroom and just looked at Israel--  he put Indiana on pause, I gave him the news and well, we were both in shock, because this pregnancy wasn’t planned.  We weren’t even going to start trying for at least a year or so.  But even though it wasn’t planned, I’m very, very excited for this baby!  It really took a few days for it to sink in that there was a tiny person growing inside of me.  I wanted to see a doctor right away to really see if I was pregnant (even though I took three pregnancy tests and they were all positive).  I made an appointment for the next Tuesday.

We called our families before we went out to dinner on our anniversary to give them the good news, and it was very fun to hear the screams of excitement from everyone.  Other than them, we really didn’t tell too many other people about the pregnancy until now.  I just wanted to wait until I was a bit further along, just in case something would happen.

I was so anxious to be seen by the doctor already so when the day finally came I was really curious as to how far along I was.  I was guessing six weeks at the latest.  I had no way to be sure because I had been having irregular cycles for a little while.  So I was quite surprised to find out that I was already almost 8 weeks!  Because they weren’t sure how far along I might be, they had to do an ultrasound, so on my very first appointment I got to see our baby!! 

It was almost like I didn’t really believe I was pregnant until I saw our tiny little bean on the screen.  I could see his/her head, little “wings” to the sides which were the developing arms, and tiny legs and feet.  It already looked like a little baby!  I got to hear the heartbeat and it was very fast and very strong.  The technician said the baby looked very healthy. 


 It will be so exciting to find out if it’s a girl or a boy!  The Cubans think it’s a boy (more on that in another post), and I’m kind of leaning that way right now.  I still can’t believe this is happening, that I’m growing a person inside of me!  It feels like a huge responsibility, a great task and honestly, I can’t wait to be a mother.  I know I’m going to love this child like nothing else, because I already do.  I can’t wait to meet Baby Sanchez!!

2 comments:

  1. Seeing that picture (of the sonogram) set me into a laughing/crying state!! I'm so excited you, one of my greatest friends ever, are having a child!!!!!!! I can't wait to meet him/her :) Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww :) Thanks, dearie!! I can't believe how tiny our baby was in that picture, I can't even imagine how much he/she's grown in the last month! This week the baby's supposed to be around 2 inches long! :) I'm just glad you'll be back in the country by the time the baby's born!! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete