Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Magical World of Reading

I've been fighting a sort of cold/flu combo all weekend and I'm finally starting to feel a little better.  All day Friday I just felt terrible and didn't do much except wear sweat pants and watch TV.  On Saturday, after sleeping about eight hours, I went with my mom and Israel to a mini book sale at the library where you could purchase a bag for $5 and stuff all the books you wanted inside.  It was a pretty amazing deal!

I've been slowly building up a collection of children's books for the baby (came so close to accidentally writing her name!  Happens to me constantly now!) for the last month or so.  I found a few great ones at Hastings at their closeout sale and found a ton yesterday.  I knew that the children's section would be the craziest one but I fought my way through the crowd and walked away with over twenty books!


Some of my favorites I found yesterday

My mom and Israel went over to the Booktique (also in the library) because they were having a discount sale that day and I got so exhausted and worn out that I just plopped down right outside the store on the floor.  I was even able to take a three hour nap shortly after we got home!  I know Baby Girl won't be able to appreciate most of these until she's a little older but I'm just so excited to be able to read to her.



Israel and I have already started reading her some books while she's in the womb.  She responds by kicking and moving around, although at this point I think she really just likes hearing the sound of her dad's voice.  :)  I know that when I was growing up, I loved being read to by my parents.  I loved sitting on my dad's lap when I was a little girl and listening to his deep voice tell one of my favorite stories.  I was always baffled by friends of mine who didn't enjoy reading on their own, because I couldn't get enough of it.  Once I learned to read, I loved finding new books and investing in the lives of new characters.


It's one of the greatest things in the world to find a book you really love that just draws you in from the very beginning and you can't put it down.  That happened to me just last night and I kept telling myself, "Just one more chapter."  I hope to instill this same passion for reading in my daughter because it was such a magical part of childhood for me.  She's already acquired a pretty strong library so I think there's a good chance of her becoming a reader.  ;)

4 comments:

  1. Elena, you are already such a good mom!! I think showing a child how exciting reading can be is one of the best gifts parents can give their children. That' so exciting that you found that many good reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My love is going to be a great mom! :) We both love reading and hope that our little one will too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd be surprised at how much they love being read to, even when they're so young! Maybe it's just hearing your voice, but they love it :) My little Graham loves brightly colored board books like Eric Carle's classics. Reading to them is so fun! Oh and get a Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones! Best children's Bible ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia, thank you! When I read your comment, I still can't believe I'm going to be a mom!

    Mi amor, thanks! You're going to be a wonderful dad, la verdad. :)

    Rachel, I've gotten a few board books but definitely would like to add to the collection. I'll have to check out that Storybook Bible you mentioned, great idea!

    ReplyDelete