Thursday, April 12, 2012

38 weeks: I'm always the one percent

Two more weeks.  That is insane!  Where did the time go??

To add to the ever-growing list of weird pregnancy symptoms, I've got a new one:  PUPPS.  No, I'm not referring to cute little puppies, I'm talking about Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy.  Remember last week when I was venting about maternity jeans and how my skin has been extremely itchy?  Well, I started developing a rash on my stomach with tiny red bumps all over it.  It's nothing like what you'll find if you google this strange skin condition, but it's enough to be one extremely annoying symptom.

It only affects 1% of pregnant women (so of course I would get this "rare" symptom) and unfortunately has no real cure except to have your baby.  It can get pretty bad with some cases, and my doctor even told me that she could induce me at 39 weeks if I really couldn't stand it.  But I'd really love for Baby Sanchez to come on her own timing, so I'll try to just endure the next couple of weeks.  I've made it this far already!  Benadryl and Aveeno are supposed to help relieve the itching, I feel like I've got the chicken pox.  The itching lasts all day and while I'm trying to be a good girl and not scratch my skin off (once you start you can't stop), I feel like Stephanie Tanner in that Full House episode where she, Joey and Uncle Jesse all have chicken pox and take turns scratching each other's itches.


I still think that the whole spitting thing was worse, but this is pretty bad.  Here's to hoping Baby Girl will come early!  I did get to see her on an ultrasound yesterday and that's always so wonderful.  My OB had ordered one because of the bleeding I had last week and everything looked good, or at least they didn't say anything bad.  Little Girl is a few weeks behind length-wise but I think this is because she is probably just going to be a little thing, like her parents.  Based on her length, they estimated that she currently weighs 5.8 pounds!  I've heard weight predictions on ultrasounds can be very inaccurate, sometimes by 1-2 pounds in either direction, so we'll see how much she ends up being when she's born.  If that is the accurate number, she could still weigh seven pounds by the time she's born.  Either way, I don't think she's going to be very big.  :)

My mom came with me to my appointment and it was nice for her to see her little granddaughter on the sonogram.  A few fun details from the sonogram:

- She is still a girl!  I had a different ultrasound tech this time and when she asked me if we knew the sex of the baby, I asked, "Well, is it still a girl?"  And she confirmed that she was.  :)  So no need to change the nursery colors or exchange a whole lot of girly dresses and onesies.

- It was hard to tell what we were looking at a lot of times because my last ultrasound was in December, and the little one has grown a lot since then!  At one point, the tech pointed out a thick white band around the baby's head-- she said this was her hair!  So she's definitely not going to be a baldie.  I predict lots of hair.

- Baby Sanchez had her little hand up by her face almost the entire time.  It was so sweet.  At every ultrasound, she's always had her fingers in her mouth.

I'll post another bump picture soon once the husband is home to take one.  I think I pretty much look the same as last week though.  :)

1 comment:

  1. HAhahah you 80s child you! I totally remember that episode of Full House! So sorry you have PUPPS. It sounds terribly annoying. I guess it just makes you that much more excited about having the baby :)

    ReplyDelete