Friday, April 20, 2012

It's been a prrrretty crazy week...

This happened:


And then this:



But first, let's go back to last Friday.

I got a very alarming call from the doctor about my sonogram results, saying that the baby was measuring very small, only in the fifth percentile, and they told me to come in immediately to have more tests done.  I called Israel crying and in a panic and then asked my mom to come with me to the hospital. I had a more detailed ultrasound done and a non-stress test in Labor and Delivery.  On the ultrasound, they tested the baby's muscle tone, breathing and measured her head, legs, and abdomen.  They zoomed in really closely on her face, and it was the first time she actually looked like a real baby.  She was sucking on her fingers and she had the cutest little lips!  She scored 8/8 in all categories.  

I went upstairs for the non-stress test and they monitored Baby Girl's heart rate and movements.  She did great and was moving a lot.  The nurse came back to check on me and had spoken with the doctor on call.  Originally, the doctor had wanted to induce me right then because they were concerned that the baby wasn't growing properly and would do better outside the womb.  This was pretty crazy to me, and the nurse then said that my doctor might want to induce me when I'm 39 weeks (which would have been yesterday).  So all weekend I thought I might be getting induced this week.  Crazy!  I wasn't sure how I felt about being induced, I knew that I had wanted to let Baby Girl come on her own, but if it really was for the best for her then I would do it.  

To wrap it up, I had another appointment with my doctor on Tuesday, and she relieved my fears by telling me that she didn't have all the measurements when she looked at the ultrasound, and the baby is actually in the fifteenth percentile.  It looks like she's going to be perfectly healthy baby, just tiny.  Like that was any surprise to us!  So now Baby Girl can come on her own.  And I'm hoping she won't take toooo long!  :)

On Saturday night, there were a ton of tornadoes and bad storms in Kansas.  Thankfully, no tornadoes passed through Topeka that night but at some point Israel and I did hear a loud sound but didn't go outside to see what it was.  When we were leaving for church the next morning, we saw that our neighbor's very large tree branch had crashed in our yard and was basically taking up the whole space!  It was right over a power line, too.  I'm just so thankful that it didn't fall on the house or my parent's car that we had borrowed setting in our driveway.  

The last picture of our damaged car has definitely been the craziest part of my week.  On Monday afternoon, I was coming back from having a lovely little lunch date with Rachel when I got into a car accident.  I was in the right lane and about to change into the left when I looked behind me to make sure it was okay to move.  I saw a green van behind me in the same lane so I turned on my signal and started making the lane change.  Before I even knew what happened, I just felt a huge push from behind that hit the car so badly, I actually was pushed onto oncoming traffic for a brief moment before I swerved to get back into the inner lane.  I was in shock and my first worry was whether the baby was alright.  It really is a miracle that I didn't ram forward into the steering wheel or anything, so I felt like the baby would be okay.  And soon afterwards, I felt her moving around so that eased my worries a lot.  

Thankfully, the accident happened in a pretty populated area and there were lots of witnesses across the street at the park who had seen the whole thing.  Everyone I talked to said it looked like the woman behind me was definitely speeding.  After spending about an hour giving my statement to the police, I very carefully drove the car home even though the entire bumper had been taken off and there was a broken tail light and a huge dent on the rear right side.  I spent most of yesterday on the phone with insurance companies, and the woman who ran into me did admit that the whole accident was her fault.  I think when she saw a nine month pregnant woman get out of the car she had hit, she was pretty quick to admit that.  

An appraiser came out to inspect the car yesterday and I just heard back that it looks like they're going to total the car.  So, we've got to find a different car pretty quickly.  I laid awake in bed the night of the accident and just kept replaying what had happened and couldn't stop thanking God for His protection.  It could have been much worse, and I'm so thankful that it wasn't.  Sometimes I don't understand His timing, but I know someday soon I'll be able to look back and see why this happened at the time that it did.  Our car has had a number of problems since we got it, so it's probably for the best that this happened.  I'm thankful to be alive, I'm thankful that my baby girl is perfectly alright and safe, I'm sure our car being wrecked is a blessing in disguise.  And I'm so thankful for the Lord's protection over us every single day.  I can't even imagine how many times the Lord has had His hand over us and we are not even aware of it.  

3 comments:

  1. God is good honey! :) He can use any bad thing in our life and turn it for good, for He is good.

    The most important thing is that you and our baby are perfectly fine. Things come and go. I love you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautifully written post! You described the past week's events so well! You and Israel will have quite a story to tell Baby Girl someday. Psalm 91 and Psalm 139 keep coming to mind. So thankful all of you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you´re fine Helena.
    Don´t worry about weights and so. According to doc, my boy was going to be small, and he weighted 4 kilos 80 grams...so you never know I´m sure you´re going to have a beautiful, sweet and healthy baby girl.
    Love
    Marialuisa

    ReplyDelete