Tuesday, May 8, 2012

One Week











My baby is one week old today.  In some ways, it feels like she is already so much older and that we've had her for much longer.  Last Monday, I went into early labor and continued to labor until Tuesday morning when I was having the most painful back contractions of my life.  36 hours after my initial contractions and after three extremely painful hours of pushing, I had an emergency C-section due to Ellie's position in the birth canal and finally met our baby girl.  Recovery has been rough and how things went down definitely wasn't how I envisioned my birth experience, but none of it really matters now that we have a beautiful healthy baby girl in our arms.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

I've been enjoying getting to know Ellie this week and learning her different cries and cues.  I love the way her tiny lips pucker (oh, by the way, she did end up with Israel's Cupid bow lips) and her eye brows raise in the most adorable way after I nurse her.  I absolutely love her scent and cannot stop kissing her all day long.  I love her tiny nose and how it's always cold, even if the rest of her body is completely warm.  I love the way she nuzzles into my neck.  I love that she has a combination of both Israel and I's features and that she is ours.  I love watching Israel be so tender and protective with her, and watching the two of them together.  I love hearing Israel sing Cuban lullabies to her and that he calls us his girls.  I love our little family.

I still can't believe I'm a mother, but hands down, it is the best job in the world.  I absolutely love being Ellie's mother-- I can't think of a more rewarding experience.  Happy One Week, Baby Girl!  Just please don't grow up too fast now.  ;)

10 comments:

  1. Way to make me tear up at 6:35 in the morning. Those pictures are wonderful. She is wonderful. See you ladies later today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, I felt like crying specially when I saw that picture of you looking at her, probably when they just placed her in your arms; the way you look at her...it must feel wonderful your child looking at you for the first time, I can't wait, I'll probably melt right there. I am so sorry you had to go for the C- section, that was probably a little scary, but I really hope you are recovering well, please rest as much as you can so you can heal. Thank you so much for sharing Elenita, Ellie is a precious little angel <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you need to update your profile from "soon to be mom" to "mommy!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww Tricia! Thank you. I enjoyed seeing you this afternoon, definitely have to see you soon. I wish either of us could drive and we could go get coffee or something, haha. Maybe a nice little stroll around the neighborhood next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, it is the most amazing thing seeing your baby for the very first time. I'm so excited for you and all of the joy you're about to experience. I always got so annoyed hearing all the horror stories about labor and about how hard it is being a mother while I was pregnant. Because yes, it's hard, it takes a lot of sacrifice, but it's the most amazing experience in the world. That picture of me looking at Ellie was the first time I saw her. I couldn't see anything since I was blocked by the screen during the surgery, but when I heard her first cry, tears immediately started streaming down my face. I couldn't believe I was finally going to meet my Ellie. Good luck with these last few weeks, hang in there. Soon you will meet your precious son! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty, thank you for bringing that to my attention! I shall have it changed immediately. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dearest pal! What a looker she is! I can not believe that she has already been here for a week! WOW! I can not tell you how truely happy i am for your little family, and how deeply proud I am of you! God is so faithfull, and I am praising Him for the deep blessing He has given the two of you in her!! Richard and I send all our love, and a hello to your percious girl! PS she has your big beautiful eyes!! love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that girl so much!! And I love you, too mi amor!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Rachel! It's amazing how much has changed in a week, I can't imagine life without our little girl now. Can't wait for you to meet her next month! Love you, pal. :)

    Mi amor, I love you too! And Ellie loves her daddy a whole lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh god I missed this post.
    You had the same labour as mine. 36 hours and Maialen never reached pelvis area so after one day, I had a C section too. But that was 25 years ago, and Helena time flies so take care of your so beautiful baby.
    She´s gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete