Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sleep

A couple of weeks ago, breastfeeding was my biggest concern.  I had been having so many problems with a good latch and still using a nipple shield from the hospital.  I really wanted to give up because I was in so much pain still, two months in.  Thankfully, I went and saw a lactation consultant finally through Ellie's pediatrician, and within five minutes, all of my nursing problems were solved.  I don't even need to use a shield anymore to get Ellie latched on and there's no more pain at all.  I'm so thankful that that issue is resolved, and I'm thankful nursing works as well as it does now.  Now the only real issue is sleep...


I was really excited earlier this week when Ellie went down for a nap and then two different bedtimes fully awake and got herself to sleep.  I don't know if that was just a fluke but now she absolutely refuses to do the same thing again, and the only way she will take a nap is if I hold her or if she falls asleep in her swing. We're still working on getting her to bed at an earlier time, and establishing a good bedtime routine.  I really think she is sleep deprived and overtired and maybe that's why she hasn't been sleeping well either for her naps or at night.

Also gone are the six or seven hour stretches of sleep at night.  For the last two nights Ellie has woken up after only three or four hours.  I feel like we're way back to the days of the first few weeks coming home from the hospital.  Every time I tried putting her down for a nap yesterday, she just screamed at me.  After not getting anything done around the house, I finally just strapped her on me in the mei tai wrap and wore her around the house as I made dinner and cleaned.

The other day I came in our room to see Ellie licking the side of her little bed.  I thought it was a little strange, but since then it has become her biggest obsession.  And now for the last two days for all of her naps and going to sleep at night, I've found her with her head to the side and crying because she can't get to the same spot she loves to lick.  It really is the strangest thing, and it's keeping her from sleeping.  It's not just the bed she loves licking, it's everything now, and her hands are always in her mouth.  I guess this is the age babies' salivary glands really get going.   I'm hoping this is just a weird stage and we can establish some good sleep habits soon... it would be great if Ellie could fall asleep on her own in her own bed.  From day one, she has always cried when we put her down away from our arms.

It's interesting just seeing how much of Ellie's personality already.  She is very spirited, a little stubborn but incredibly sweet and curious with those she knows well.  I definitely think she will be a very strong-willed woman when she grows up!  :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh god, she looks gorgeous and eatable!!!!!.
    My god, she has grown up so much!!!
    Love Marialuisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe thanks Marialuisa! I like your word "eatable," yes she really is... I kiss those adorable chubby cheeks all day long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we shouldn't have made her bed out of candy...lol, not, but seriously, I also hope she moves on from that exploring things with the mouth stage soon. She is gorgeous and needs her beauty sleep, hopefully lots of it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha love, I don't know what it is about that bed, but it's irresistible to her! Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started laughing out loud when I read that about her licking the bed. Babies are weird I guess :) I cannot wait to see how much she's grown! I hope she gets back to sleeping more, friend.

    ReplyDelete